IGNORED

VCS Encyclopedia "Coming Soon"

bfstats

Hey I'm Derek Slaton and I'm the Author of the VCS Encyclopedia. We just went public with the project today.

Volume 1 covers roughly a quarter of the releases on the system and is the first entry into a planned 4 Volume series. Each game is getting 4 pages, so it's going to be a beast of a project. There will be digital versions as well, with the iBooks version including gameplay footage of every game.

If anyone has any questions about the project just let me know and I will answer it as quickly as I can!

Derek

• Like 10

Hi everybody, delighted you all like what you see so far, with Derek's form been able to write so well and then be commissioned to produce the visual aspects of the book for him, it would be classed up there high with me along my Atari Gamer Magazine and the Atari ST gamer magazine, and now returning to the roots wi the VCS.

What I can say from been a diehard fan of the VCS spanning back to 1979 I was completely amazed about games I never even knew existed until I began producing this book for Derek, some of the content was actually groundbreaking considering what the VcS was capable off was fantastic to me.

I also would like to mention, that I've remastered 90% so far of all the boxart, manuals, cartridge and catalogue imagery within this book than can not be found anywhere now on the net. I have re-rendered a ton of Atari VCS material exclusively for the book as I feel this is Atari VCS history in the making and so proud to be apart of it, and really hope you all will be also.

I've attached the images here for people that don't want to hyperlink to the other site...enjoy :)

2nt8l53.jpg

155rsc2.jpg

• Like 6

Hey Stan,

I won't have specific pricing until I get everything squared away with the publisher, but it's going to be in the same ballpark as my Sega Master System Encyclopedia which retails for $50 on Amazon but usually hovers around $45 (hardback, full color, 435 pages). Could end up being a little less, just depends on final page count and how much the publisher charges me (the 2600 Encyclopedia is going to be over 400 pages) The digital versions are going to be cheaper, right now I'm looking around the $10-$15 price point for the various digital versions (going to depend on version). While I would like to make money on this (which would afford me the opportunity to do a lot more books like this) I also want to make sure it is accessible to as many people as possible. Also, for those not in the USA, the publisher I'm using has printers in the USA, UK, and Australia, so you can purchase and it ships locally. No outrageous international shipping charges!

Bike, I have both of those systems on my wish list of projects to do. First things first though, gotta get the other 3 volumes of the 2600 out the door first!

• Like 2

Have you done E.T. yet or is that one coming in a future volume?

Yes E.T. will be covered in the next Volume, the first volume covers title that begin with "A" through to "D" so it will be in volume two.

High Voltage,

Yep, it is going to feature every single USA release for the system, which is something like 417 I believe (not enough coffee yet this morning for memory to completely work). Birthday Mania however is a tough one as there isn't ROM or much material on it anywhere, but it will be covered in the book nonetheless.

:(

I understand that completely Thomas. I would love to be able to cover every single release from everywhere, but I had to draw a line somewhere. Just doing the USA releases in the manner in which I'm doing it is going to end up resulting in a Four Volume, 1600+ total page project. Maybe one of these days if I'm lucky enough to do this full time I will be able to put something larger like that together.

If or when the time comes, and if you're able and willing to acknowledge NON-US releases, a suggestion would be to focus on those ORIGINAL titles that were developed overseas (rather than pirates and hacks). US companies like Panda, Bomb, and Froggo released domestically what had been developed in other countries so, in a way, you're already doing that if you include those companies in your current project.

Along with Thomas, here's hoping...

High Voltage,

Yep, it is going to feature every single USA release for the system, which is something like 417 I believe (not enough coffee yet this morning for memory to completely work). Birthday Mania however is a tough one as there isn't ROM or much material on it anywhere, but it will be covered in the book nonetheless.

I'm still working to get the materials on Birthday Mania. It might be to late for your deadline if your publishing the first volume soon.