IGNORED

2003 AtariAge Holiday GreetingCart Contest

Albert

HolidayCart.jpgWould you like a shot at winning a limited edition 2003 AtariAge Holiday GreetingCart? AtariAge is giving away seven such carts to seven lucky recipients in this latest contest. What is the 2003 AtariAge Holiday GreetingCart? It's a cartridge with a unique, holiday-themed label created by artist Dave Exton, which shows a rendition of the same image when plugged into an Atari 2600, courtesy of Interleaved ChronoColour™ technology. These carts are individually numbered and there will be only two ways of getting one: By placing an order of $50 or more in the AtariAge Store (details to be announced soon), or by participating in this contest and winning one for free!

So, you ask, what's the contest about? The object of the contest is to take a picture of an Atari 2600 cartridge in an environment appropriate for the game's name. For instance, you might take a picture of Frostbite outside an igloo, or Polaris by a submarine, or Warlords outside an old English castle. Given the large library of Atari 2600 titles, finding a game in your 2600 library and an appropriate subject to team it up with should be easy!

The contest will run until Midnight, December 31st, 2003. That should afford you plenty of time to grab a few games from your 2600 library and go hunting for appropriate scenes with your camera!

To learn more about how to enter the contest, please visit the 2003 AtariAge Holiday GreetingCart Contest page.

Note: We have changed the nature of the contest slightly: In addition to five random drawings, we will also select an additional two entries from all those received that we feel are the most creative and intereting.

We have also added a new condition to the contest:

In order to encourage a variety of entries, only the first photo submitted for any given "scenario" will be accepted. If a picture of a game is taken in front of a given landmark (for instance, Fenway Park baseball stadium), we will not accept a second entry picturing that same landmark. Likewise, if someone takes a picture of the game Slot Machine in front of a real Slot Machine, we will not accept another entry depicting the same. We encourage you to look at the submissions (which will be updated frequently) before going out of your way to take a photo.

..Al

Ok here is mine. (Good thing I wasn't smoking)

It is only a few M-1000's, with a bunch of black cats and a few exploding bottle rockets. ;)

@ Atari Troll- so what did you submit that you couldn't put in a public forum? You didn't do Custer's Revenge did you? :D or one of the other mature games. That is the only reason I can think why you didn't want others to see yours.

post-3803-1070773014_thumb.jpg

I am SO TOTALLY on this contest.

Pics soon! :)

Is it going to be TOTALLY randomly drawn? I mean what if someone REALLY goes the extra mile to get a pic (like oh I don't know say, get William Shatner to hold a copy of Star Trek???) That would deserve something all its own.

Otherwise EVERYONE could just take a picture of Night Driver in their car at night and be done with it?

Is it going to be TOTALLY randomly drawn?  I mean what if someone REALLY goes the extra mile to get a pic (like oh I don't know say, get William Shatner to hold a copy of Star Trek???)  That would deserve something all its own.

Well, I could add another cart, awarded to what we feel is the coolest picture (in our opinion). :)

Otherwise EVERYONE could just take a picture of Night Driver in their car at night and be done with it?

I was thinking of adding a condition to the contest where once someone has taken a picture of a cart with a particular landmark or scenario (such as the Kaboom! one pictured above), that that scenario could not be used again.

..Al

Pick one at random, and then go for the best one. That sounds like a good idea to me. (also with the codition where you can't copy picture locations)

Sounds like the grounds for a great contest and I can't wait to see some others submissions. :)

Edit: I just see that there are 5 to be given away. So you could just do 4 random, and then one First Place winner.

I was thinking of adding a condition to the contest where once someone has taken a picture of a cart with a particular landmark or scenario (such as the Kaboom! one pictured above), that that scenario could not be used again.

..Al

yes, but that is going to require EVERYONE to post their pic here as their entry and someone would have to update this thread daily...

oh, and I think it would be more fun to have people compete. You know, take a better Kaboom pic, maybe with the firecrackers EXPLODING. Give people a chance to take a better pic. :)

oh, and I think it would be more fun to have people compete.  You know, take a better Kaboom pic, maybe with the firecrackers EXPLODING.  Give people a chance to take a better pic. :)

Yeah, It would be cool to promote compition with the pics. But that is my only Kaboom! so I wouldn't be blowing it up any time soon :D ;)

I have updated the contest page to reflect that we will now be giving away SEVEN carts, two to be subjectively chosen by us based on what we feel are the most interesting and creative entries, and then five randomly from the remaining entries. I have also added the new stipulation about only accepting the first photo for any given subject matter (details are in the first post above, and on the contest page.)

Additionally, please submit photos at a resolution of 1024x768 or greater.

Thanks!

..Al

Can the game be a homebrew or hack?  If it's a cart that I don't have in my collection, could I create a prop version of the cart to put in the picture (not photoshoped into a picture - I'd print out a sticker to put onto a physical cartridge)?

Homebrews are fine, I'm not sure about hacks though. I would also prefer they be original copies of games, although I may be hard-pressed to discern if a label is genuine unless the cart is featured prominently in the photo. :)

..Al

So no more posting them here, right? I will resubmit my Kaboom to editor@atariage.com in a larger form (why do you want such big pictures?)

Having larger images allows us to crop and reduce the submissions to a consistent size for posting to the contest page. Otherwise we'll get a wide variety of submissions, and many of them might be too small to display in a consistent manner with the other entries. Plus, this allows us to more easily see the cart that was used. :)

..Al

Okay, 2 questions:

1. What's the difference between the green border cart and the red border cart available?

2. What happens if you order a $50 purchase and this cart, but then you win one of the carts in the contest?

1. 50 scanlines.

2. you end up with two carts.