IGNORED

Activision Prototypes Released!

Albert

activision_protos.jpgThanks to our friends at Activision, Thomas Jentzsch, and Matt Reichert, we are proud to make available the binaries for several unreleased Activision games and demos. The Venetian Blinds Demo is a graphics technology demo, Bloody Human Freeway is a version of Freeway that was never released, and then Unknown Game #1 and Unknown Game #2 are two original games that were never saw the light of day. We've put together a page detailing all the games here. Matt Reichert of AtariProtos.com has written up a brief description of each prototype, and links are provided to the full review of each game on his site. Thomas Jentzsch converted each of the NTSC prototypes to PAL, allowing everyone to enjoy these games. Enjoy and Happy New Year!

I already had these thanks to some very kind unnamed people 8)

Well I didn't and am really glad for the opportunity to add these to my CC2. I'm such a geek, I know, but I've actually really wanted to see the "Venetian Blinds" demo running on real hardware.

Many thanks to AA, Matt, Thomas, and (most especially) Activision for releasing these!

Contacts, contacts you see ;)

(yes I've had them ages too)

But the PAL conversions is a nice thing, so now I can actually see them running with (almost) proper colours on the CC2 instead of relying on Z26 instead to see what they should look like.

With regard to Unknown Proto #1:

Game 3 seems to be a practice mode which allows you to get used to how the color tiles move. (There must be a formula to describe this function.)

Game 4: Is it just an attract mode or is the AI attempting to solve the puzzle? I was thinking of letting it run all night and see what it comes up with.

Salvage yard: Where dead electronics are thrown? How ever did the finder recognize it as a 2600 game? He reached in amongst the piles of crap and ... "Voila! Ereka! I think I'll plug this into my Atari 2600!"

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Game 3 seems to be a practice mode which allows you to get used to how the color tiles move. (There must be a formula to describe this function.)  

Could be. I just assumed it was incomplete. If you notice, it has a score counter unlike the other Games.

Game 4: Is it just an attract mode or is the AI attempting to solve the puzzle? I was thinking of letting it run all night and see what it comes up with.

Try that and let me know. IIRC I let it sit for 5 or 10 min and it never solved the thing. I assumed it was some kind of non-stop demo.

Tempest

Just got around to really reading up on these new discoveries at Tempest's website.

I swear he's got the coolest website (outside of AA of course)

Thanks for keeping on top of the protos Matt, Ive read some of the reviews a half dozen times over the years and it never get old.

Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it.

Speaking of old reviews, I'm in the process of revamping some of the first reviews I did. Originally I tried to keep them to three paragraphs or less, but now I'm going back and fleshing them out a bit. Don't be surprised if you see some of them get updated in the near feature.

Tempest